Monday, January 22, 2007

Top5 - HowWasTheShow-versary Edition

I haven’t done one of these Top5s in a while. I used to do one a week, but as it went on the songs were less of what I was really into and more of whatever came up on my iPod when it was on shuffle. I thought of a good reason to write a new Top5 though. I started writing for HowWasTheShow just about a year ago and these are bands that I probably wouldn’t have given much thought to if I hadn’t gone to review them. In working for HWTS I am always looking for new bands that haven’t been covered a million times and that is a really rewarding aspect of music writing.

  1. Eyeliner Blues – High on Stress

The first review I wrote for HowWasTheShow was of High on Stress. I really do dig the down to earth style of song writing the guys have. I am looking forward to a new album this year hopefully.

  1. Cold Rusty Shiver – The Rockford Mules

These guys totally kicked my ass the first time I saw them. I gushed to the guitar player afterwards that they should be famous.

  1. Shall We Laugh – The Dad in Common

The thing I love about covering live music is that on any given night you can be totally blown away by the unexpected. The Dad in Common’s recorded stuff is decent, but the performance at their CD Release show was unbridled craziness. It was a whirlwind of psychedelic gypsy gospel soul.

  1. Last Resort – The Winter Blanket

I kind of knew The Winter Blanket before I started writing for HWTS, but covering them a couple times really cemented my love for them. I actually went to review them at the Triple Rock the same night I covered Mi and Lau. There was hardly anybody there and Stephanie Davila and Doug Miller played as a Duo. It was the first time I had seen them and I didn’t really know what to think. Looking back on it now, it was a laid back easy affair. Miller and Davila knew that with the audience barely reaching double-digits, they could be playful, like they were playing in their living room.

  1. Bubblegum – Story of the Sea

I probably would have stumbled on to Story of the Sea without HWTS if only because I am constantly amazed at Ian Prince’s drumming. The band has such a rich sound for only a three-piece.

No comments: