Friday, January 05, 2007

Album of the Year


I was lucky enough to have my opinions solicited by Chris R. from the Star Tribune for his critic's best-of-list this year. Of course all those opinions are rendered pointless now because between the time I submitted my choices and the end of the year, I purchased the Roma Di Luna album, The Face of My Friends.

If I could change my picks, this would be my album of the year. A folk duo that captures with the perfect blend of haunting vocals, barely-there guitar and occasional fits of fiddle, they capture an ethereal moment in time of a strictly American style of music.

The song "Don't Take My Baby to War" would be my song of the year. The best anti-war song I've heard in a long time.

Don't take my baby
Don't take my love
Don't take my baby

Gather your men around there's a draft coming to town
Leave tonight or else you better bury them underground
Don't take my baby to war

Choke on the oil you need/ to power that engine of sin
If you believe in these battles/ then why aren't you out there with them?

He has kissed me goodbye
He has no fear of giving his life
But I carved my heart in his hand
So when they find him they'll know he's mine
Don't take my baby to war

Don't take my baby
Don't take my love
Don't take my baby to war

Catch Roma Di Luna January 10th at Barbette.

No comments: