Friday, March 31, 2006

Top 5 for Friday March, 31 2006

I’m stealing a bit from the walshfiles. I can’t quite do 20 songs a week, so let’s start with five.

1.Between Us to Hold – Hayden: A soft ballad from this underrated Canadian songwriter. I’ve been a fan for years, but I just recently purchased the album, “The Closer I get” on which this song appears. When I first got it, I drove around in my truck in the snow with this song repeating in the CD player.

I held your arm as you hit the strings
I pressed your fingers down
and started to sing


2.Cold Rusty Shiver – The Rockford Mules: My new local band crush. If I were a writer with influence in this town, I would try my best to make these guys known. I will try anyway. I love the little staccato slide part in the bridge.

3.Eyeliner Blues – High on Stress: Another new local band crush of mine. When I close my eyes and listen to their album Moonlight Girls, I picture Nordeast, Minneapolis and dive bars: two of my favorite things. I love any song that can deftly name check Keith Richards and the Ashtray Hearts.

4.New Drink For The Old Drunk – Crooked Fingers: A frenetic violin punctuates this march song for aging hipsters. I am still on the fence about Crooked Fingers. I think I am still bitter that I never once saw the great Archers of Loaf in concert. I still have unresolved feelings for the Archers, so I can’t quite let Eric Bachmann move on. I am glad, though, that he moved on in an unforeseeable direction. I enjoy this carnival/ show tune/ folk incarnation much more than I would have an Archers style noise punk continuation.

5.On My Own – The Winter Blanket: A haunting, spare song desperately sung by Stephanie Davila. A perfect soundtrack for a dark room and a cold martini on chilly winter night.

Your perilous prescription list
The problem’s still left unknown
Fighting against
My own guilt
And I can’t do this on my own
If you have
To go------
I pray
You’ll come back home
Home--------

No comments: