Sunday, March 26, 2006

Club Underground

I went to Club Underground for the first time this past weekend. That place is a really unique venue.

When you walk in the upstairs, which is the Spring Steet Bar and Grill, it looks like the typical old-school NE bar. That is, the people there look like they belong there on that barstool, playing those pulltabs and drinking those Michelob Golden Lights. That is why I love NE.

But coming up from a concrete staircase in the corner you can hear the machine gun drumming rising up from the basement.

Walking into Club Underground it looks like it could easily be a VFW meeting place or a venue for a fundraising church bingo game.

The sound is surprisingly good in there. I think it has to do with the low ceilings. There is not a lot of room for sound to bounce around.

I wrote in my notes for the show I was reviewing, "Punk Rock Rumpus Room."

No comments: