Friday, August 11, 2006

Top5 - Moving pt1

Friends moving away is an inevitability. But it is an inevitability that sucks. We get older and life changes. I know that five years ago I couldn’t imagine the situation I am in now: married, with a house and a dog. When I was in my early and mid-twenties, I moved around a lot. I thought that is what I should be doing. I should be discovering the world and discovering myself. So I have been in one place (Minneapolis) for almost nine years now. I love it here. I feel like this is the place I should have been all along. The one desire I had, but never acted upon was trying my luck in NYC.

My close friend the redheaded kid is moving to NYC on Tuesday. We were in BLH together and we talked about moving the band to NYC. We said if we are not going to make it, we’d rather not make it in NYC. Good luck friend. I can’t say I’m not a little envious of your move.

Here is part one of the mix tape I made for him as he leaves Minneapolis behind. Next week I will post part 2 – the NYC disc.

Disc 1 – MPLS

  1. Uptown – Prince

Where I come from, we don’t let society tell us how it’s supposed to be

  1. Always Coming Back Home to You – Atmosphere

These alleyways and these streetlights have seen my best days

  1. Nice, Nice – Lifter Puller

We went from upstairs at the nice, nice
Up to Franklin up by 15th
And Jenny got dressed as we circled the block
We did the secret knock and stuck their hands through the mail slot
And 1, 2, 3, 4, that’s the way that Jenny scores

  1. Good Night Goodbye – Mark Mallman

I got a friend in New York City who I call

  1. On My Mind – Romantica

When the lights go down up on 1st Avenue

  1. Minneapolis – Lucinda Williams

Snow covers the streetlamps and the windowsill
The buildings and the brittle, crooked trees
Dead leaves of December

  1. Bring Back the Firing Squad – Valet

At Stand Up Franks you are the joke

  1. Ten Thousand Lakes – Kid Dakota

The thought of 10,000 lakes makes me feel smaller

  1. 9th & Hennepin – Tom Waits

It was 9th & Hennepin and all the donuts had names that sound like prostitutes

  1. Skyway – The Replacements

It don’t move at all like a subway
It’s got bums when it’s cold like any other place

2 comments:

Andrea said...

This is really quite lovely. I think I am going to have to burn this mix for myself.

Juan Appagado said...

Thanks Andrea.

Maybe I can get one to you before you leave.