Monday, February 28, 2005

More boring by the day, but they pay me...

I work in corporate America.

Corporate America is soulless and depraved.

Does that make me soulless and depraved?

The company I work for has been around for almost seventy years, but has grown wildly in the last twenty. The practices of my company are in direct conflict with many of my personal beliefs. This is not a diverse company. All of the many vice-presidents are middle-aged white men. If you walk the halls of the sprawling suburban corporate campus, you will see an alarming lack of minority employees.

If there is a successful locally run small business in any town in America that does what my company does, that mom-n-pop business will be targeted. We will saturate the town with salespeople and try to steal their customers with prices lower than the local business can afford. If this is not successful in putting that company out of business, we then offer the owner of that small business a large sum of money and a director’s job with the company. We then absorb that locally owned company in to the giant corporate behemoth that is my company. Of course, those low prices do not stick around and that saturation of salespeople does not last.

Therefore, the people of that town are stuck with one company to fill their needs.

Us.

No comments: